Stay safe in the sun
19 June 2017
Healthcare commissioners for Harrow are advising people to stay safe in the sun following an announcement that parts of London may experience ‘heatwave’ conditions this week.
A heatwave alert means people should be aware of the actions to protect themselves from the possible health effects of hot weather, and social and healthcare services are advised to take specific actions that target high-risk groups.
Following this alert, Harrow CCG is urging people to stay safe by:
- trying to keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm
- if you have to go out in the heat, walking in the shade, applying sunscreen and wearing a hat
- avoiding physical exertion
- wearing light, loose fitting cotton clothes
- drinking plenty of cold drinks
- if you have a health problem, keeping medicines below 25 °C or in the refrigerator
- looking out for others especially vulnerable groups such as the elderly, young children and babies and those with serious illnesses
- never leaving anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or elderly or frail adults.